“I can’t do yoga! No one wants to
see me bend over!” That has got to be one of my absolute favorite things to
hear from people. “No one wants to see me bend over!” It’s yoga! It’s about so
much more than bending! Why is it such a big deal? “People are going to look at
my butt.” For me, when did it become so sexual and why?
I’ve been doing yoga since I was in
third grade. I was never the best at anything until I started it. What, not
everyone can touch their toes without bending their knees?! It was a shock to
me! I was never amazing at something that my sisters or my friends weren’t just
as good at if not better. That changed when I picked up this physical activity.
It was never anything sexual. Of course, not at third grade, but even thinking
back I don’t remember it being anything people thought sexually about.
Nowadays, you say you do yoga and
people picture different things. Quite a few of my friends (male and female)
say the same thing. When they think of yoga they think of an attractive woman
in tight pants or really short tight shorts and a sports bra bending over. I
think this perception really came about within the past 5-10 years due to the
rise in popularity of yoga itself and yoga pants. It became popular. It was
getting more press. How do you gain even more popularity? Sex.
This is America. Sex sells. Sports
and physical activities are not exempt from that lovely fact. Something about
relaxation and finding peace along with finding strength and power has turned
into sex. If you are going to market a physical activity for things like health
and weight-loss, it needs to have an edge. People look for an edge. Are you
dripping with sweat at the end? Do you climb walls during class? No. Then how
do you sell yoga? You can get fit and look hot doing it. Sadly, it works.
I used to work at a women’s
athletic/lifestyle clothing company (I will not share which one) but this came
up a lot more than people think. I sold yoga pants that were upwards of $98 per
pair. It did not matter how it was structurally better than others and how it
might actually be worth the high price for the pair. It didn’t matter! All that
the customers seemed to focus on was, “will the pants make my butt look good?”
I always thought what does it matter?
You’re doing yoga. You’re working out for you. You want to improve yourself.
It matters because that is how the pants are being marketed. That is how women
are talking about the pants with each other.
I guess we need to change the
marketing and change the conversation.
No comments:
Post a Comment