Growing up there was no question
that the kids would play sports. My sisters and I started young. We joined the
swim team the second we were able, that gave us something to do in the summer.
We signed up for soccer as soon as we were old enough to play. My older sister
and I did swimming in the winter while my younger sister did gymnastics and
ice-skating. For years we were always involved in one way, shape, or form with
sports.
The involvement in sports taught us
valuable life lessons like teamwork, dedication, and hard work. It gave us a
certain level of confidence and self-esteem. It taught me the importance of
being able to take on a leadership position as well as the importance of being
able to take direction and learn. I had many experiences that helped form the
person I am today.
Not everyone gets those experiences
though. Maybe it is because of financial reasons. Maybe it is lack of interest.
Maybe it’s something else all together but many people don’t have a huge
involvement in sports as a kid. I know I have friends that primarily played
video games or had a purely academic upbringing. Some of them were more
involved with Boy/Girl Scouts as opposed to an athletic team. Each of these
gives different experiences and teaches the participants different things.
Is one better at raising a
well-rounded child than the other? No. It isn’t fair to say that. I played
sports but I was also a Girl Scout. I played video games as well. I think the important
part is having a well-balanced mix of opportunities and activities. I already
said what sports taught me. Girl Scouts taught me about selling, entrepreneurship,
and the importance of giving back to the community. It also taught me that I
could do pretty much anything. Playing video games taught me about creativity
and to question reality and the rules.
Parents need to know that sports aren’t
everything. Children also need to know that. A life exposed to different
opportunities will result in a better-rounded adult. I will forever stand by sports being important
to a child’s development. I believe each child should try at least one. It’s a
great way to get active and support a healthy lifestyle while having fun. That
and everything I mentioned before.
No comments:
Post a Comment