Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Return of Spring

     Northern Virginia got a taste of warm weather this weak and I caught a strong case of Spring Fever. There were blue skies and sunshine. It was magical. You know what this means?

     OUTDOORS!!!!!

     The love of playing outdoors runs through my veins. It always has and I doubt it will ever leave. There is something about the sun dancing on your skin and feeling the soft grass under your bare feet as you run around that is nothing short of pure bliss.

     Do we forget about it as we get older?

     I ask because when I ask my friends to go out and do something, they ask me why. My favorite is when I ask and the response is, “are you twelve?!” No. I’m not too old for that type of thing. Running around outside and playing sports is not just for kids but it can bring you back to the time when you were one. The freedom. The innocence. They joy.

     Grab your friends. Grab a soccer ball. Grab a football. Go out and play! One of my favorite college memories comes from my sophomore year. I took the soccer ball out of my closet and practically forced my roommates out of the apartment. “30 minutes you guys. 30. That’s all I’m asking.”

     3 hours later no one had gone inside.

     Until that point, my roommates and I were just that. Roommates. 3 hours later and we had bonded. Playing a sport has given me that ability to bond with other people. It’s sharing an experience while releasing endorphins and releasing stress. You let negatives go so you can really bond with others in a positive way.


     Spring reawakens the outside world and brings the weather that allows us to enjoy it. Get up. Get out. Go have fun with old friends and make new ones! There’s nothing like a game of soccer to bring people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment