Coming soon to the area is one of
the largest international sporting events in the world: The World Police and
Fire Games. Police officers, fire fighters, and federal agents from all over
the globe are going to descend upon Fairfax, Virginia this summer for an
Olympic style competition of strength, agility, and overall performance.
Thanks to one of my internships I
am involved in a lot of opportunities that this event has to offer. For
example, last night was the Draft Day Party. Each of the companies that are
sponsoring the event gets to pick a sport to cover that is exclusively theirs.
My company chose Track & Field. Not
exactly my choice but I’m not high enough on the totem pole to make that
decision.
While at this party we got to mix
and mingle with the other sponsors and some of the athletes. While also there
we got to visit with bomb sniffing dogs as well as do more normal things like
putting and shooting basketballs. It was an amazing experience. I would not
have traded it for the world!
Talking to the athletes was
probably one of my favorite parts of the event. These people have an extreme
passion for their jobs. They work in the more intense fields and need a way to
release that stress. What better way to do so than taking up a sport? Not only that,
the sport can help them in their jobs! Speaking to them, you could really see
that they loved the sport. They had a desire in their eyes and voice when
speaking about the competition that you don’t see in professional athletes much
anymore.
I wish professional athletes cared
as much as the men and women I got to speak with last night care. Professionals
get paid, sometimes a huge amount of money, to play a sport they claim to love
for a living. Then they act out. They don’t show up to practices and start to
think they are better than the sport that got them there.
I hear stories from my parents
about athletes and how they remember when you could tell that athletes
absolutely loved what they did. Apparently it was a different time. I wish I
could see that. Sometimes I find it hard to support the athletes on the TV
because I know there is probably someone out there just as skilled who would do
anything to be able to play the sport they love and get paid.
Anyway, I could go on and on about
this but I think you get the point. Support the athletes that love everything
they do. Support the people that put their lives on the line so that we can be
safe every single day. The WPFG are looking for volunteers and will take as
many spectators as they can get! The Games take place from June 26th
– July 5th all over the area from places like George Mason
University to Reston Town Center. Take part. You won’t be disappointed.
For more information and ways to connect, please visit their site at fairfax2015.com. You can also connect with them on Facebook and Twitter.
No comments:
Post a Comment