Sunday, March 15, 2015

Gym Thoughts #1 - Motivation

            Over Winter Break I had the amazing opportunity to go to London, England. It was absolutely amazing! While there I decided to take advantage of whatever the city had to offer. This meant things from public transportation to going to a cabaret performance. This also included food. Before I left everyone told me that the food wasn’t much to write home about but I didn’t let that stop me from indulging in fish and chips as well as whatever the pub was pouring that evening.

            My eating habits suffered. I came back and got better but not where I was. To try to make up for it I’ve been to the gym. I've been more in the past couple of months than I have in the past year. In these months I have discovered that motivation to work out is not something I have in great supply. My sisters get up and go in the morning almost every day. My friends go on runs all over DC and do marathons!

            How do they do it?! I asked a couple of them what gets them going and they say they love the feeling working out gives them. For me, working out gives me one feeling. Exhaustion. I love being active and doing different activities but running has never been my thing and the weights they have at the gym are really heavy.

            I used to do yoga a lot and I loved it. Only a couple years ago it was everywhere! The fad is now changing and yoga is not in the spotlight. Now it appears at my gym maybe twice a week. I am also a fairly broke college student and can’t afford a membership at a yoga studio. Soccer still runs through my blood but it is hard to get a group together to play. Kayaking was an amazing experience but I’d have to put in a pretty decent drive to get to a place where I can do that. It also involves money that I don’t necessarily have.

            I need motivation. Some friends have suggested doing a “fun run” but I do not know how fun it would be. They say it gets them moving and is a great stress relief. I believe them but running has never been a stress relief for me. Maybe I’ll do some random classes at the gym I have never heard of before. There is bound to be something in there!!


            It’s 11:30 PM and I have a date with the gym tomorrow at 5:45. I should probably go to bed. At this point I am definitely motivated to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment