Monday, March 16, 2015

Breakfast with Dad - Week 4


            It’s been a while since I’ve had breakfast with dad. Life gets in the way. Weather happens. Sleep becomes necessary. The world makes it hard to get together sometimes. But when it can happen, everything becomes okay again. Today’s breakfast was a lot of catching up. Since the last time we were able to get together a dog has been adopted, a tattoo has been worked on, an ex has resurfaced, a car has been purchased, and a diet has been started. We’re a busy family.

            Another thing that has started is my application process for my first full-time job. YAY! I’m probably enjoying this process more than I should but instead of finding it scary, I’m finding it exciting. I am applying to start the rest of my life. What company will I end up at? How long will I stay there? Is it a place I get to stay for the rest of my career? Where will it take me?!

            My older sister found this process awful. She hated it and didn’t find it exciting. She did well in school and obtained two majors (finance and accounting). She finds herself at one of the largest companies in the world but she is not doing what she wants to do. She had the opportunity to apply for a HUGE wealth management company (she does not want me to say the name) but didn’t bother because the position sounded too much like a secretary position. My thought? Not exactly what you want to do but you have to start somewhere.

            My dad? “SHE HAS TO START SOMEWHERE!” It was said with a lot of gusto so I feel as if all caps are necessary. It is true. It is true for everyone. I’ve spoken to many people and based on plenty of past internships, we can say that it is very true if you want to get into the sports industry. One of my friends interned for an NHL team and he says he never did more miniscule jobs (filing and alphabetizing) than he did in that position. He is now working for the team in their broadcasting division and he loves it.

            Another thing Father Dearest shared with me is, “you have to pay your dues.” That is nothing new and I’ve heard it many of times before. It seemed really convenient timing though considering the conversations I’ve had with my friends who are now in the industry. You do have to pay your dues. So many people want to work in sports and yes, there are jobs out there. But! If you want that good paying job with a well-known team, you have to be willing to pay your dues. So many people also want that position. So many people are just as qualified. The question becomes this –

Who wants it more?

          
            This internship process seems to be a way to prove that you want to work in the sports industry more than the next person. What are you willing to do to get to where you want to be? How determined are you to be in that industry and environment? This is where my sister’s story comes into play. How determined are you to get into that company/industry? What are you willing to do? It’s a game, really. If you want to work in the sports industry, it is something to be prepared for.

For the job hunt, my dad says the question is simple; who’s ready to play?

No comments:

Post a Comment