I really
don’t mind train rides. I’d mind it less if my back weren’t killing me but
that’s life. I’ll get over it. I got the opportunity to go down and visit my
sister for a couple of days. Friday was travel day and we went to go see Eric
Church. AMAZING show. If you get the opportunity to go, take it. Saturday was a
day of food and staying out of the rain. Of course this included things like
happy hour and television. Clearly we live on the edge.
Our television day was successful.
We watched Scandal and so many
episodes of Modern Family it was
insane. Of course we watched the most recent Grey’s Anatomy episode and spent a good amount of time yelling at
the television set because of it. We also watched the Bruce Jenner interview.
That… That was interesting.
I will
admit, until I watched Keeping Up With
The Kardashians I had never heard of him. Maybe the name came up but he was
not someone I knew. Once the show started he quickly became my favorite
character and I learned a few things about him. That’s why when this interview
was first talked about months ago, I didn’t believe it. I thought it was either
A – a publicity stunt or B – the tabloids are evil. Many guys have long hair.
I’ve seen many guys have painted nails. Nothing surprises me anymore and I took
the “let him do what he wants to do” approach to the situation. When my MOTHER
(yes, mother) told me he got his Adam’s apple reduced I thought it was a little
strange. Again, let him do his thing. Maybe there was a health problem.
When this
interview was aired I was at the Eric Church concert so I did not get to see it
live. I heard that 17 million people did so I knew it had to be good. Bruce
Jenner was everywhere Saturday morning and we were quickly drawn in. My older
sister does not usually get involved with information like this but even she
couldn’t look away from the television. This once great athlete, the best in
the world, was identifying as a woman. He is going to go through a process to
actually become the woman he has always been inside.
The hardest
part for my sister was knowing that he was once this world-class athlete and
now he is a woman. I’ll give it to her, it is hard to wrap your head around it
if it doesn’t apply to you and/or you don’t know anyone going through that
situation. Me? It all made sense. I made the comment (don’t judge), “Of course!
He would be a woman!”
The
decathlon is one of the most intense athletic competitions a man can put his
body through. The training is intense. You have to be a “manly man” to compete.
If Bruce Jenner was confused about being a woman, pulling off a win in the
decathlon would be a huge way to try to convince himself that he is just a man.
Kind of like, “only the manliest of men can compete in this event. If I win, I
must be the manliest man ever!”
Athletics
has a history of presenting that kind of thinking. To do some sports or some
events, the thought is you have to be a genuine guys guy. You have to be tough.
Once that mentality is created the athlete can do nothing but support it if he
wants to be accepted or even successful. If Bruce had any thoughts that he
might be a woman they had to be quieted somehow. Training for the decathlon and
winning was his attempt to silence everything.
I feel like
you see this a lot in sports. It’s an arena where men are supposed to be men
and women are supposed to be women. The sports are separate and the training
varies on intensity. To make it big, you have to be the best of your sex. It’s
hard. If you are having issues with who you truly are sports are a great way to
try to quiet those issues and to put your focus & determination into
something else. In saying that I guess Bruce Jenner’s secret isn’t too
surprising.
I’ll
support Bruce. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for him… For Her.
Also, what
was with the huge shock of him being a Republican?! Sure Diane Sawyer can accept
him really being a her but the fact he’s a Republican shocked her to her core.
You go,
Bruce! I might just be a nobody in Northern Virginia, but I’ve got your back!
I was really ready for Bruce's interview to be a set-up and have nothing to do with his transitioning. I was really relived to actually see him break free when he came out. How great would it have been if this interview had played back during our gender in sport discussion?
ReplyDelete