The Capitals won!!! 5-1! We are finally up in the series and
I am so stoked! Spoke to my boss about it when I came in today which was nice.
I’m so very happy.
Hockey
update is over. Now an issue that tears me apart: Kids playing outside. At this
point in life, I want it to happen BUT I don’t think it is safe anymore.
When I was
growing up, we played outside. Whether it was out on the farm while my parents
were at work or in the neighborhood with the other kids, my sisters and I were
outside. We played soccer, we were on swings, we played kickball, there was
jump rope; my neighborhood had a pool and for years we would spend our summers
there. Also, we would watch each other. Kids would look out for other kids. We
were young but we were taught the responsibility that was necessary to look out
for each other so that we didn’t need our parents to escort us everywhere.
Nowadays?
No. I want to say kids should be given the same freedom but for a couple
different reasons I’m going to say that that would be a bad idea.
1.
Areas are becoming more and more urbanized.
There are more cars everywhere. A neighborhood is now just a pass through for
cars trying to get to and from work as fast as they possibly can. This is
especially true in the Northern Virginia area.
2.
There seem to be more creeps around. I find more
and more reasons every time I watch the news to think that children should
never go outside to play again.
3.
Immaturity levels are down. I have been
observing this for years and I know adults are seeing it too. Those that are
growing up even 5 years younger than me are not as mature as the kids when I
was growing up and those older than me. I don’t know if it is a different
parenting style or what but they act bratty and entitled. They don’t look out
for each other, they look out for themselves.
4.
Hover parents. The ones that won’t let their
children grow up and succeed because they know what’s best or are too involved
with the kids’ lives.
Playing outside definitely helped
my development when I was a kid. I had a free space to try out different games
and sports. I made friends and
definitely developed personality traits due to these experiences. I started
soccer after my sister did but I kept with it because I had fun playing with
kids in my neighborhood. I stuck with swim team for years because I could hang
out with my friends in a space that was not supervised by adults 24/7.
Children are not getting the same
opportunities I got when I was a kid. I know sports shaped who I am and I know
I had to rise to the challenge of responsibility when I was still a kid. I
wasn’t forced to “grow up” too fast but I was forced to accept the fact that my
actions affect others. This lack of opportunity is not their fault. I can’t put
it all on the kids. Granted they are inside playing video games more but I want
to look at it without attacking video game culture. Without attacking that, I
look at the reasons and I don’t know what side of the fence I stand on.
No comments:
Post a Comment