Friday, April 10, 2015

Human Error - Written on Tuesday, Posted on Friday, One of those weeks...

                It’s Tuesday. I've got to say, 99% of the time, my energy level is up. Even at work it remains pretty high! Today… Today is a challenge. I even got my butt to the gym this morning! Normally that puts me in a great place! What is going on?! There is an extremely high probability that the reason for today’s issues is a complete mystery. It could just be in my head. It probably is just in my head. I don’t know!
                Sports. Today. Well, Wisconsin lost to Duke last night in the NCAA Championship Game. I suppose that was a bummer for some people. For me, I love the controversy. Calls were made that should not have been made and if they were called correctly the game could have ended differently. I have seen this many times in different sporting events. It’s the butterfly effect! What if they had called the foul differently? What if the ball was given to the Badgers?
                Usually I try to make this argument: the game results should never be decided by a missed call. People make the calls. People are humans. Humans make mistakes. If you didn't play the game well enough to have some human error thrown in and still win, you did not play well enough. It’s cynical, yes. It’s unrealistic, yes. There have been too many times in sports history where a call decided the game because two teams played extremely well. Among all the cynicism is a little bit of hope. I would like to hope that the better team comes out on top. This is especially true in a championship game. If one team wins because of human error on the part of those officiating, is that necessarily the better team?
                No. The better team does not always win. I’m not saying Wisconsin was better than Duke. As a matter of fact, I have no idea which one was better. I didn't follow either team during the season so I can’t say. I also know people that have gone/have ties to both schools so my loyalties did not lie in one place. But, to quote Amanda Bynes in She’s the Man, “Speaking as a completely objective third party observer with no personal interest in the matter,” it sucks to see many friends on social media upset because the team that deserved to win/played a better game lost due to quite a few human errors. It sucks because they are upset and because it blows up all over my homepage and it drives me crazy. Much like during election season, the complaining is overwhelming and those who are not complaining are being smug trolls.
                Washington area sports teams seem to have this issue a lot. If there is human error, it most likely was against them and it most likely cost them the game. The luck of D.C.? Pretty much. This type of thing is almost a guarantee as a Washington sports fan. Are we used to it? Yes. Does it still hurt? Yes. Do we still complain? Well, we are right next to D.C., aren't we? The area is a hotbed of human error but we will still be up in arms over a missed/wrong call.
                And a tomato juice squirted onto my white shirt. Awesome.

-.-

No comments:

Post a Comment