Thursday, February 12, 2015

Breakfast with Dad - Week 2

            Waking up at 6:45 am on a Sunday is hard. When you throw in an omelet and a homemade pop tart, things get a lot easier. Food is always fantastic motivation.  Also, before I get into the sports side of breakfast, I need to put this out there. I went out to breakfast on Sunday February 8th. They were advertising chocolate covered strawberry homemade pop tarts. Fun fact, chocolate covered strawberries are addicting and delicious. Guess when they start serving them? Monday February 9th. I WAS 1 DAY EARLY. Kind of heartbreaking. Mission for next week? Yes.

            Moving on, it was not a big week for sports during breakfast. It was a lot off filling out paperwork and getting ready for my younger sister’s 21st birthday. We did have an interesting talk about the Washington Wizards.

            Neither of us are huge basketball fans. It has never been a huge part of our lives, we watch when we watch, but we could not tell you anything big about the team. My dad chuckled to himself and said, “That has not always been the case. Man, you should have been around when they were the Bullets. Those were some good seasons.” It took me by surprise! My dad follows football and baseball. He dabbles in hockey. I have never heard of him ever following basketball. A recurring thing for this particular blog post series will be memories. I can feel that already.

            Father Dearest took a sip of his coffee and proceeded to tell me about (a much less exciting) Life before Lauren. Apparently from the 1970s through 1980s the Washington Bullets were a force to be reckoned with. They won at least 35 games 22 seasons in a row! It is amazing! The entire Washington DC area was behind them. There was a connecting spirit running throughout the people here. My dad was smiling throughout all of this. He said they went through down period in the 1990s but the last season they were the Bullets they went to the playoffs. “The feeling was not the same in the ‘90s but during the ‘70s and ‘80s… Man…. That was a wonderful time for DC sports.”

            Even though the Wizards are doing pretty well now, it was not that long ago when you could go to a game for basically $2. DC sports in general have a reputation of being disappointing. I want to be part of an area that rallies behind its teams. People in this area can be some of the most loyal fans (i.e. Redskins fans) or they can drop ‘em like a hot bowl out of the microwave. I went to New Orleans over Halloween last year and you could feel the unity throughout. New Orleans Saints stuff everywhere, bars full during the game, and the team isn’t even at the top of its game. I loved that. I want to be part of that. Listening to my dad talk about how the area was with the Bullets, I want that vibe back in the area. Whether its for the Wizards, Nationals, Capitals, or Redskins. 

I want the strong DC support. I want memories like my dad has.

And I want homemade chocolate covered strawberry flavored pop tarts… Just sayin’.

1 comment:

  1. The Bullets! That takes me back. The 90s were a special time in basketball in general, Jordan, Space Jam (yeah...), etc.

    ReplyDelete