Friday, February 20, 2015

Snow... This Means War!


Happy Friday!!!

This has been quite the week. I wish I could say that in a good way. I just got permission to return to my apartment on Wednesday after a hellish ordeal with my complex. On top of that, I’ve been sick for the past week. Started out as one thing and as I type this it has transformed into something totally different. Let me just say that there is not enough tea in the world to make my throat feel better. Also, it snowed. Normally I do not have a problem with snow. But it snowed a lot and it is cold so that means everything is turning into ice. I don’t know how many times I have checked gravity but I have to say it’s working very well.

The combination of my bad luck for the week has amounted to a rather large bummer – I can’t go play in the snow. Snowball fights and sledding are two of my favorite winter things! Well, outdoor winter things. Nothing can top hot chocolate with Netflix or grilled cheese and tomato soup.  There is something magical about a snowball fight with the kids on the cul-de-sac followed by sledding at Wolf Trap. It’s tradition. And when it comes to the snowball fight, competition gets fierce.

Considering how intense my neighbors took snowball fights as I was growing up it baffles me that it has not made it into the Olympics. It takes skill, stamina, and a healthy (depending on the human, not so healthy) dose of competition. There is a winning team and a losing team. Also, the strategy gets very detailed.

Looking back, I guess the appropriate term would be a snowball war. Everyone can partake in a snowball fight but not war is not for everyone. There are battles that last days. Locations move based on relocation of forts. There are allies and there are most definitely spies. Being part of it is an adrenaline rush like nothing felt before. Watching it draws you in.

Really, I don’t know how the Winter Olympics hasn’t jumped on this yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment